Whilst writing these blogs I have had the constant distraction of each week's football. However after a while I considered why not combine this constant distraction and writing the blogs. Football is often referred to as the beautiful game, the people’s game or more than a game,but what about an emotional game?
Throughout these blogs I will explore each weeks lecture/reading content and whether the findings can be seen or applied to football. Some of these topics might be easier, such as pride and shame, but unrequited love might take slightly more ‘lateral’ thinking. In order to make sure the content and themes are as current as possible I will try and adjust them regarding the latest games/trends in football.
Fixing Fernando + Saving Suarez
Also to really highlight the importance of self-conscious emotions in this environment, and whether or not they are applicable, I will include a weekly segment focuing on a specific football player, for example; Fixing Fernando. Fernando Torres, now a Chelsea FC striker has gone from one of the best football players in Europe, a world cup winner, to a striker that has only scored 17 goals in 81 games. One journalist even said
‘The trouble for Torres these days is the sense that he is rarely more than a couple of patchy performances from scrutiny or crisis. The weight of recent history does not help. When a striker goes five months and 25 games without a goal, as Torres did for Chelsea last season, his overall club numbers may never recover. Nor may his confidence.’
This quote amongst others eludes to the fact that Fernando Torres’ dip in form and inability to perform might be due to psychological reasons. Through an understanding of the role of self conscious emotions it might be possible to explain why Fernando Torres has been struggling. Especially through the alleviation of negative affect and protection against it, aswell as increase in self-esteem and generalized confidence. Whilst I am aware that correlation, especially naturalistic, does not imply causation, for the sake of creative freedom I will explore the potential that it MIGHT, in most of the blogs.
Another key character in these segments will also be Luis Suarez, following incidents which have lead people to suggest he needs psychological help.

.png)
No comments:
Post a Comment